Saturday, April 21, 2012

Perspective and Possibilites

This is something that is always hard for me to do, keep perspective when I'm looking at all the things I want to do.

Recently I've been having trouble staying motivated to do anything, but with the help of some carefully crafted spells that lethargic period is rapidly falling behind me.  I took my first Martial Arts class last nite and will be taking my second one today!

I sometimes feel that because there is so little time in the day, I will never get everything done that I want to do.  Then I remember how long the day can be when I'm lying in bed recovering from a drinking binge; that's when I realize how much I can do in any given day.

Partially because of my depression, I have a bad habit if I do a few things on my to-do list of thinking I can just take the rest of the day and veg out watching TV or reading.   Now don't get me wrong, vegging out sometimes is a great idea, everybody should do it regularly!   I just need to remind myself that if I've done 3 or 4 things on my list by noon, there is still a lot of time in the day to do more things. 

If I can keep myself motivated like that, I can accomplish so much more than I think I can.  The only thing holding me back is me!!

This applied when I was drinking.  I knew I was the only thing standing between me and sobriety, but I had taken the easy solution and just accepted that I was a drunk and all the consequences that went with that.  Thank the Goddess those days are behind me!

Its funny though how I still have the mindset that holds me back.  When I look at all the things I want to learn about, I sometimes feel so hopeless-I'll never be good at all that stuff.  But when I can get my mind in the right place then I know that I can learn about all of those things.  Which, if any, of them I become good at is just a matter of which ones I have an affinity for and which ones hold my interest.  ( I've noticed I'm generally not very good at things that don't interest me).

Well that's all for today.  With my new-found dedication to making the most of the day I must  leave now for my second martial arts lesson!! Then lots of apartment cleaning, rune studying and tarot readings!!

Blessed Be!

1 comment:

  1. Martial arts is a great sport, and inspiring too I hear, lol dont know myself, dance is my exercise. Martial arts teaches you much more I would think. I also think we all have those days where we just are not motivated and your so right as recovering alcoholic's we have to be careful of complacency. Great job. Thanks so much for sharing of yourself, and bright blessings )0(

    ReplyDelete